The topic of vaginal dryness is so common among women particularly between the ages of 40 and 60 that it is often a topic to be shared when the “girls” get together. Yes, it is a problem that forms a common bond, and has a definite effect on the sex life. Check out the facts below.
A healthy vagina, which is made up of many layers of cells, stays lubricated with clear fluid, which keeps the vagina healthy, elastic and noticeable when you are aroused. How much lubrication occurs is determined and affected by different factors such as: low estrogen, menopause, stress, fatigue, chemo therapy, medications, allergies, pregnancy, childbirth, drying and chemically based soaps, and of course emotional stress.
Dryness can cause irritation, itching and burning, avoidance of sexual intercourse, and lack of libido, thinning and drying of the vaginal wall. Emotional stress can be a huge factor in dryness. Many women believe and have heard that sexual drive/libido is supposed to go away during menopause. Literature and studies have shown, however, that sex drive is not automatically assumed to be a factor in menopause.
Some 80% of women report symptoms of vaginal dryness during perimenopause and menopause. Other studies indicate that 95% of women report some occasional vaginal dryness.
OK…those are some facts. Now let’s deal with some solutions and create healthy ways to have a relationship between the body, and sexual experiences. What can YOU do?
1. Drink plenty of water (not soda) to ensure that the body is well hydrated. Balance the diet. Add some nutritional supplements if needed.
2. Be careful about using harsh chemicals, soaps, douches and other products containing allergens, dyes and fragrances.
3. Exercise to increase the “chi” or chi energy and breath moving through the body.
4. Stimulate your sexual organs. Lubrication may take a bit longer, but it is still there. Spend time self pleasuring. With a partner, slow down, take your time.
5. Use some personal lubricant that is natural, and will help to restore your own vaginal moisture. Aloe Cadabra is a magical gel that is 95% organic aloe.
6. Affirm you! You may be getting older, but certainly sexual activity can be joyous and exciting. Keep the juices flowing.
CLICK HERE to read more from our multi-part exploration of vaginal dryness that discusses the causes, opportunities for enhancement, and ways to get your juices flowing led by Carolyn Braddock, a renowned educator, coach and wellness Professional.